- Ear, Nose & Throat
- Band 4
- 22.5 hours per week
- York Hospital
- £20,150 - £23,363 pro rata
- 24/01/2019 23:59
Please note that contact with applicants will usually be by email, and so please check all of your mail folders regularly (unfortunately some providers filter our messages into junk mail folders).
Do you share our values? We’re looking for applications from people who:- care about what they do
- respect and value others
- listen in order to improve
- always do what they can to be helpful
…to help make us a valued and trusted partner within our care system, that delivers safe effective care to our local population.
Following the retirement of one of our dedicated Medical Secretaries, the Head & Neck Department at York Hospital NHS Foundation Trust are now looking for a Medical Secretary to join our friendly, patient-focused team.
The post is as part of a job share within the Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Department. The hours are 22.5 per week, working Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
The role involves three core aspects:
Administration skills: As part of the role you will be required to provide a comprehensive personal assistant and secretarial service to the ENT Consultants and their teams. You should be able to type at a rate of 40+ words per minute with a good level of accuracy. Ideally, though not essentially, you will have previous experience with medical terminology, although training will be given, You will need excellent organisational skills to enable you to prioritise your work.
Customer service: Ultimately the patient is at the centre of everything we do. As part of our team, you will help to ensure patients receive the high quality care they deserve, this will include monitoring patient pathways, communicating with patients and co-ordinating treatment as per clinical instruction. You will also provide customer service to our Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) medical team, co-ordinating leave arrangements and assisting with the administrative support of the Junior Doctors.
Team support: The environment is busy and fast paced, so teamwork is pivotal to our success. A quality service requires a team of people to make great care happen. This role will work in close proximity to the medical staff, management team and the various administrative teams.
Our ideal candidate would be:
- Committed and willing to learn
- Enthusiastic, with a ‘can do’ positive attitude
- Passionate about the role and keen to learn more.
The post holder can expect:
- Friendly, supportive team members
- Training and development opportunities
If you are thinking about applying:
- If you want a bit more information or have any questions please call us for further information.
- You can also visit the department; this is a good chance to meet the staff and get to grips with what we do. You will need to call us first and book an appointment, but we will be happy to see you.
If you are ready to apply:
- When you fill in your application form remember to include everything the form asks you for. We select people to interview by scoring the application form. It’s not uncommon for us to receive application forms which are not filled in, unsurprisingly these candidates do not get selected for interview.
- Read the job advert in full, as well as the attached job description and person specification. Give us examples of how you fit the job description and person specification.
- Use the application form to tell us why you are the person for the job.
If you are successful in getting an interview:
- You will be emailed asking to book a time and a date so it is important you give us an up to date 'phone number and email address.
- At the interview you will then be asked to complete a typing test (we will be looking for a speed of around 40 words per minute and good accuracy) There will also be an English test. If you want to practice your typing skills before your interview there are typing tests available on the internet. It may also be a good idea to brush up on your punctuation knowledge too.
- You will then meet the small ‘interview panel’. The interview panel are made up of senior department staff and they will ask you some questions in order to test your skills and abilities in accordance with the job description.
- You will have a chance to ask the interview panel any questions you have. It’s a good idea to write these questions down in case you forget.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the resident labour market test. UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UKVI website. From 6 April 2017, Tier 2 skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, must present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) will also be subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal Records Checks for Overseas Applicants.
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
Further details / informal visits contact